What is it?
Anxiety is a state of worry and nervousness that can range in severity. It is common to experience some anxiety during particularly stressful times or in anticipation of such a life event. However, when anxiety becomes an ever-present emotion and interferes with sleeping, eating, and activities of daily life, it must be addressed. In addition to the psychological aspects, anxiety can manifest as physical symptoms such as shortness of breath, heart palpitations, excessive sweating, digestive distress, and headaches. Anxiety disorder may be diagnosed if a person is experiencing anxiety on most days for at least 6 months, and is accompanied by other symptoms such as restlessness, concentration issues, fatigue, irritability, muscle tension and sleep disturbance. However, you do not need to have anxiety of this severity for it to need treatment. If anxiety is interfering with your life and wellness, it must be addressed.
• The most common mental health issue in the United States
• Affects more than 40 million adults
• Commonly runs in families, with a first-degree relative affected 25% of the time
• Contributes to physical symptoms and is the cause of many missed workdays
• May be the result of imbalances in hormones or other body systems
• Can cause sleep disturbances such as difficulty falling or staying asleep
• May affect concentration and productivity
• Triggers may be clear or anxiety may be present without a clear trigger
How do we treat it?
Anxiety is a symptom indicating an underlying problem and may be occurring because of physiological imbalances outside of the nervous system. For some people, anxiety is a learned coping mechanism, for others, it may be a hormonal imbalance, a food sensitivity, or a cardiovascular event. In Chinese medicine, anxiety is a common symptom of kidney distress. We will work with you to uncover the causes of your anxiety which may be multiple. Our investigation may include hormone or blood testing, digestive analysis, and/or lifestyle counseling. As we work together, you will uncover the deeper roots of your anxiety and work to remedy these true causes of your symptoms.