Dr. Paisley seeks to enhance survival and quality of life for those living with cancer through naturopathic oncology and its integration into cancer care.
Naturopathic oncology, as defined by the Oncology Association of Naturopathic Physicians, is the application of the art and science of naturopathic medicine in the field of cancer care and treatment. Naturopathic oncology is a vital component of a comprehensive, whole-person approach to cancer care that spans from prevention through treatment and into survivorship.
The Role of Naturopathic Medicine in Oncology Services
An integrative approach to cancer care is at the leading edge of what patients are seeking and incorporating with and without guidance of a specialized provider. The NIH reports that complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) use by oncology patients is at 80% and 50% are under reporting to their oncology team. One of the major concerns about CAM use is the lack of data substantiating it’s benefit to patients, but current literature is reflecting a trend towards good safety profiles and efficacy of complementary management, particularly in the area of side effect management. Pre-clinical is very strong and clinical data is gaining traction in a conventional setting. Dr. Paisley strives to work with you and your care team to direct you towards integrative therapies that are individualized and have shown clinical efficacy.
The literature suggests that an integrated approach to cancer care:
- Improves patient satisfaction
- Reduces procedure complications
- Reduces dose-limiting side effects
- Improves patient tolerance
- Improves patient compliance
Dr. Paisley is excited about the increase in data demonstrating the potential to optimize outcomes and reduce recurrence with integrative treatment, particularly in the areas of breast, prostate and pancreatic cancers. She relies on the naturopathic medicine core principles, they are adapted to co-management with conventional therapies (surgery, chemotherapy, radiation) to reduce symptoms and improve quality of life so that families feel empowered and find opportunities to play!
Goals in an oncology setting are multi-fold.
- Support and direct the use of herbs and supplements
- Educate about source, quality, contamination and standardization of ingredients of supplements
- Educate providers and patients on herb-drug-therapeutic interaction
- Advocate for natural therapies in conjunction with conventional management
- Help treat dose-limiting side effects of conventional treatment and preserve quality of life
- Help prevent long-term side effects of conventional treatments
- Ensure that chosen therapies are appropriate safe, evidenced-based and cost effective
Leading edge features of integrative oncology are the potential to reduce dose-limiting side effects such as cardiotoxicity, CINV and CIPN from conventional management – increasing the number of patients that are able to complete the desired treatment. In addition, Dr. Paisley works to optimize surgical outcomes and potentially reduce infection rates post op with appropriate pre-loading and post-surgical immunonutrition.
- Nutritional Therapy
- Botanical Medicine
- IV Nutrient Therapy
- Mind-Body Medicine